Sunday, May 30, 2010

BC Uncorked! Stag's Hollow

An "undiscovered" winery in the Okanagan Falls area, Stag's Hollow (www.stagshollowwinery.com ) is - as is the case with so much in this industry - a labor of passion. These people are dedicated to following their passion and letting the varietal and the terroir showcase with minimal interference. This winery focuses on letting the vines produce the best quality they can, rather than any amount of quantity that may satisfy fiscal targets. Quality over Quantity? These are people I understand! I only had the pleasure of tasting one of their wines, but look forward to more in the near future.
2008 Viognier $25 *very good value
  • for all the world, smelling like New Zealand Viognier, which to me means cat-pee. I know this sounds disgusting, but really, that's how I've had it explained to me in tastings and class, and it really is what it smells like
  • the palate is where this wine shines! crisp and lean moderate+ acids are balanced with lemony-peachy-apricot flavors and a distinctively excellent structure. Long long presence on the palate to be savored

Ok. I may have insulted some people by saying this wine smells like cat-pee. My apologies for that, but I will not recant. This is a great wine, in the style of Viognier that the winemaker wanted! It's not one of those vaguely Gewurztraminer or Muscat Viogniers... it is what is it. Grill some chicken (skin on for god's sake) and finish it with a summer stone fruit glaze or compote - serve it with this wine - live life to the fullest!

1 comment:

  1. Not cat pee, it smells like hot dogs. Or more specifically, hot dog water, and then lovely scrumptious marmalade, pineapple, citrus. Mmmm... absolutely gorgeous Rhone-as-made-in-BC Viognier.

    ReplyDelete