Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Monkey Bay

very very very behind on transcribing my wine notes to the blog so bear with me if some dates don't match up!

A while back I decided that for class I needed to brush up on my knowledge of whites... well some whites I know, and Sauvignon Blanc is not one of them. This is what I've learnt:

Sauv Blanc makes one of my favorite whites - actually two of them. Puilly-Fuisse from France and Fume Blanc (Mondavi) from California... luv em to death. But New Zealand is supposed to be the producer of the best in the world. And no one knew until the 1990's.

WINE A

clear visual
  • very pale straw centre

clean nose, moderately intense notes of

  • vanilla
  • grass
  • crisp green stonefruit (young peaches)

clean palate, 0 dryness, moderate++ acid, 0 tannin, moderately intense flavors of

  • vanilla
  • grass
  • crispy green stonefruit

moderate body, moderate alcohol (12%), very good length

Those who know my wine-notes know that I rarely put the same notes for nose and palate. This was an incredible exception. It tastes like it smells and is incredibly easy drinking. Be warned! A bottle of this can be drunk by one person far too easily! Ok... don't say I didn't warn you.

Pairs well with soft buttery cheeses, creamy pasta or risotto, anything with a bit of heaviness to it will be elevated by this crisp bright acids and young stonefruit of this lovely wine.

2008 Monkey Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand **buy this @ $20 or less**

No comments:

Post a Comment