Saturday, March 13, 2010

some serious Syrah

Sandhill Syrah: award winning red wine from the Naramata Bench, and you must know that I am partial to the wines from the Naramata Bench.

So this was the first time for me making notes on Sandhill and I'm not sure what the hype is about. It was a well-made wine, but >>> well, let's just say that it was a well made wine and leave it at that.

WINE A

clear visual:
  • deep plum centre
  • slight strawberry/orangish brick rim suggesting light age (my guess was 2007 to 2008 and it was 2007)
  • moderate+ legs indicating moderate+ alcohol (13%+)

clean nose: full- intense notes

  • plum
  • licorice
  • spice (cinnamon & anise)
  • deep earth & terroir

clean palate: 0 dryness, moderate+ acid, moderate++ tannin, fully intense notes:

  • spicy plums
  • blackberry jam
  • tobacco
  • chalky earth

moderate body

full alcohol (14.5%)

excellent length of over 10 seconds

This is a very well constructed wine, competely developed and full of gorgeous structure. However, I must admit that I prefer Syrahs/Shiraz with a touch less aggressiveness (Desert Hills is still my favorite BC Syrah to date). This is a wine that I feel demands some food to go with it, and can handle BIG food flavors... think grilled lamb, long-slow braised beef (osso bucco), garlic & rosemary, even reindeer (one of my favorites).

2007 Sandhill Syrah, BC (Naramata Bench) $22

No comments:

Post a Comment