Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sainte Roseline, Provence




I love this time of year! Summer is the season to grill meats, sit under the sun, and have long talks over cold drinks. That is, unless you live in Vancouver. Today's daytime high? 12C. Wow - I've seen warmer in January, seriously.

So instead of the usual summer fair, we ended up with a roaring fire in the fireplace, and red wine as we watched an old movie. Molasses barbequed chicken, garlicky potatoes & basil-balsamic marinated grilled asparagus & portobello mushrooms. I would like to say that I cooked like this because it was a special occassion - but then - every night with my wife is a special occassion...

Celebrate yours.


2006 Roseline "Prestige" rouge (Syrah, Cabernat Sauvignon, Carignan)
by Chateau Sainte-Roseline, 13.5%, $15 **excellent value**
  • fully intense nose, with leathery oak, cigar box & pencil shavings, gamey bloody notes throughout
  • moderate++ acids balanced by full tannins, flavors match the nose, with the oak showing through quite strongly
  • pair this with food! Strong acids and tannins make me crave a little fat with this wine... at first I wanted to pair it with grilled meats, but more and more I came to the notion of the perfect marriage: a grilled bacon, tomato & aged cheddar sandwich. Great wine with a very good structure for the money, long developed palate and decent balance. But really, decant for an hour & serve with food or it can be a bit much.

No comments:

Post a Comment