Thursday, June 17, 2010

Macon white wines

Oh what a web we weave, when at first we start studying wine... a new wine and a new region for me, at least, so I thought. Maconnais, Burgundy produces the most prolific white wines in France. 42 villages all producing excellent table wines; and some of them I already know! Such as.... Pouilly Fuisse; a 100% Chardonnay barrel aged for one year then aged in bottle for another two years. I like me the Pouilly Fuisse!

     So when I walked into my local speciality BCLDB and the product consultant there told me I should try some Macon with our dinner of pasta carbonara, I thought: "Ok. He's a pretty savvy wine-guy."

Vendanges 2006 Terra Incognita
Macon Villages, 13%, $24 **good value**

  • fully intense buttery oak on the nose, candied banana, pineapple, a floral like daffodils or maybe peonies

  • moderate acids, moderate+ body, moderate+ intense flavors of meyer lemon, pineapple tartness, orchard fruit

  • so a decent little wine... much better value in London @ about $15 (CAN). It's a table wine, and a good one at that. The nose doesn't match the palate, which is a shame, but it shows good structure and fine balance - a worthwhile contender for summer afternoons on the deck
2006 Macon-Villages Chardonnay
by Georges DuBoeuf, 12.5%, $16 **EXCELLENT VALUE**

  • fully intense bouquet; dandelions & summer flowers, Anjou pears, golden apples, more buttery oakiness, soft-rich-meyer lemon forever

  • moderate acids (start very soft and develop on the palate), moderate flavors that duplicate the nose. Are you reading this DJ? **grin** Excellent craftsmanship

  • wonderful wine. Perhaps the palate isn't as developed as one would want, but in an under $20 wine I find it brilliant value. Long structure becomes a tad bitter at the end... try this wine with your afternoon brie & baguette. Some apricot compote will bring more richness from the wine.

     And so ends a small tasting of the wines of Macconais. With value like this, I'm looking forward to the next tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment