Monday, February 8, 2010

Grenache & Garnacha

So I don't know anything about Grenache, but it's my next lecture (tomorrow) and so I decided to get in some early tasting to discover more about this grape.

I found out that it's one of the most planted grapes in the world. It's used in my wife's favorite red-wine blend; the famous blends of Chateauneuf du-Pape (80% is Grenache). It is also used as the base for most Australian ports (which I love and adore). It is also apparently very low in tannins - which truly befuddles me as I got huge tannins from this!

WINE A

clear visual, moderate+ intense color of light garnet

clean nose, moderate+ intense nose of plum, blackberry, leather, wild game, some ash or coals and a hint of clove

00 dryness, moderate+ acids, moderate++ or full- tannins, moderate+ intense flavors of cherry, strawberry, currants, huge spice & a light taste of leather (which I discovered is linked with the oaking of reds)

the body is moderate-
the alcohol is a HOT 14.5%
palate length is 6-10 seconds

It's a good wine but holy crap it's a heavy glass of wine on it's own. I would try it with something like the beef Bourguignon I made today with CAB ribeye steak.... big beefy flavors, herbs & richness. I would want something rich and creamy to balance the huge tannins & flavors.

note: this wine develops sophistication and finesse with decanting. I know - decant a Grenache? Well I tried it and this wine is so much more drinkable after an hour (of vacu-vin it and drink it the next day). The heat in the alcohol softens and the subtle nuances are more easily discernable

YALUMBA BAROSSA GRENACHE 2006, ** BUY THIS @ $25 **

WINE B

clear visual, full intense deep ruby color

clean nose, moderately intense nose of: overripe plums, hibiscus, red roses, vanilla, hay/straw

0 dryness, moderate-- acids, moderate+ tannins, moderately intense flavors of: strawberry, chalk, something peaty and heirloom tomatoes

moderate body
moderate+ alcohol (12.5%)
good length of 8-12 seconds

I thought this was an easy-drinking red - very approachable with soft flavors (relatively rich compared to the price).

CASTILLO de MONSERAN, GRENACHA (non-vintage), **BUY THIS @$11

No comments:

Post a Comment