Monday, September 6, 2010

Domaine Brusset, Gigondas

Those who are "in the know" (Robert Parker for one, and Mike - my product consultant at the local BCLB Speciality Store for two) say that Domaine Brusset ( http://www.domainebrusset.fr/ ) is the premier winery of the Gigondas.

     Who am I to argue?

     My wife (Mrs AStudentOfWine) and I were to have a somewhat celebratory dinner & those who know my wife know she loves, nay, adores the classic Chateauneuf du Pape blend of Grenache, Syrah & Mouvedre. Those who know me, know that I rarely can afford said classic blend (starting at $60 CAN in BC, but really costing $90+++ for a decent wine.

     And so I stopped by my local BCLB spec store & told my woes to Mike, who recommended the Domaine Brusset "Tradition Le Grand Montmirail". We drank it with a beouf bourguignon with crimini mushrooms & roast elephant garlic & loved every drop!

2007 Domaine Brusset, Gigondas,
Tradition Le Grand Montmirail
14%, $34 CAN (BC) **FANTASTIC VALUE**
  • visual deep ruby centre with slightest brick rim
  • deep moderate++ intense nose starting off with lots of black and red fruit (baies rouges, etc); black & red raspberry, leathery oak (only new French oak is used for this blend & it shows), levels of bloody, gamey meatiness (in the best of all possible ways)
  • moderate+ acids, moderate++ tannins, moderate++ intense palate: the palate mimics the nose impeccably
  • moderate body, very good structure and balance, slightly hot alcohol
All in all a $60 wine for $30. Easy decision next time I need a g-s-m blend, right? However! It is said that these wines can age easily for another 10 years and given the acid/tannin/structure, I would agree. I would also say I can't wait to try this wine as a 7 year or 12 year cuvee.

Love Chateauneuf-du-Pape? You will adore this.

CINCIN! SLAINTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment