Monday, November 8, 2010

New Grist Gluten-Free Beer

Ever drink the right beer at the wrong time of year? I'll explain in a minute, but first, I just had the pleasure of tasting the New Grist Gluten-Free Beer. As many know, I'm a celiac, which means that I'm allergic to all great things beer: Grolsch, Guinness, Harp... the list goes on. Of course, I didn't always know that I was a celiac, which means I had the time in my life to develop a taste for Grolsch, Guinness, Harp... oh the Humanity of it all.

     So imagine my utter delight the first time I tasted a gluten-free beer a few years ago.

     Then imagine my utter disappointment as I tasted a thin, slightly acidic & bitter, lacklustre "beer" with poor structure and a weak finish. Imagine gluten-free Labatts Blue?

     Now imagine a gluten-free beer that is crisp, rich in flavor with nuanced levels, with a strong - clean - citrusy hoppsy finish. Imagine how happy this celiac is to have found Lakefront Brewery!


New Grist Gluten-Free Beer
  • smells like good, clean, crisp beer - a light lager almost Pilsner style
  • crisp palate with moderate intense flavors of mild citrus or fresh green apple, tons of hoppy goodness, malt flavors from the malted sorghum
  • PAIRS WITH: the only downfall to this brilliant beer, is that I'm drinking it on the first snowfall of November in my part of British Columbia... this beer is made (In My Humble Opinion) in a fine Pilsner style which to me means drinking in the heat of summer
    


    So the fine folks at Lakefront Brewery ( http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/ ) have crafted a worthy contender for my new favorite gluten-free beer. Perhaps I can just say my favorite gf summer beer. I can't wait for a hot summer day, a New Grist and some grilled Kielbasa with sauerkraut and sauteed onions.

    


The man in the photo by-the-way is Jim, one of the two brothers who own Lakefront Brewery, and also the creator of many of their fine beverages. Jim & his brother Russ started the brewery seemingly on a lark after Russ gave Jim a book on beer making and Jim said "Why not?". A few years later they took an old bakery and turned it into something new. I'm always in awe of people who are willing to dream a little and dare alot (or is that the other way around?)... Jim and Russ found something they liked, worked hard at it, and now have built something to be proud of. Good on ya lads, now this poor Irishman can sit and have a decent pint at the end of the day.

Amen to that.

CIN CIN! SLAINTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment