Friday, April 16, 2010

Zweigelt! Why not?

Just up the hill from Quail's Gate (Okanagan), and around the bend from Mission Hill, is the wonderful winery of Mt Boucherie.
My wife Thyra & I were the just after our honeymoon in August 2009, and had a wonderful afternoon of tastings.... at least, it was wonderful for me as I remember Thyra driving so I could taste everything! At Mt Boucherie we had a rich Zweigelt and I remember asking what the heck it was - as I don't remember ever tasting one before.
Zweigelt was only created 90 years ago in Austria by Franz Zeigelt (from a lesser known varietal and an uknown varietal) but has become the #1 planted varietal in Austria today. It's starting to make good growth in Canada & if you're ever in West Kelowna - visit Mt Boucherie.
WINE A
clear visual
  • pale garnet centre
  • very light cherry rim with slight brickishness
  • moderate strong legs showing alcohol 12.5%+ (that was my guess - it was 12.9%)

clean nose; moderate+ to full- strong aromas of

  • leathery oak
  • baies rouges - but deep red berries, such as black raspberries
  • perhaps some black fruit like saskatoon
  • for only 12.9% the alcohol is a bit hot
  • slight tinge of green fruit?

clean palate; 0 dryness, moderate acids, moderate+ tannin, moderately intense flavors of

  • green apple
  • young blackberries & raspberries
  • leathery oak
  • the tannins are moderately chalky and rough (is that from the age of the vines?)

moderate body, moderate alcohol (stated above) and decent length on the palate

I really like the nose on this wine... it has a rich, full fruit and oak aroma that has some layers to it for a young vineyard, but. But the palate doesn't deliver the nose - the palate is a bit monodimensional and the acids are a bit unbalanced even though they aren't full acids. This isn't a bad wine, but to me it isn't a great wine either. To me (IMHO), it's a really interesting taste of something else - a varietal one doesn't come accross everyday in BC and they do a decent job of it. It definately needs food - try pizza, bbq pork ribs... nothing too spicy or too cheesy.

2006 Mt Boucherie Zweigelt, Kelowna (BC)

No comments:

Post a Comment